City Council Meeting
WHEN: Tuesday, August 26, 2014
WHERE: Lyons City Hall
TIME: 6:30 PM – 8:30 PM
- Cemetery Grant
- Burroughs – Emergency Planning & Coordination, Police, Safety, Transportation
- Orr- Library, Water District, School District, Parks & Recreation
- New Attorney
- Language of City Charter
- Changing of City Elections format
- O’Dell – Building Improvements, Cemetery, Fire District, North Santiam Watershed Liason
- Next Meeting Date (if applicable)
City Reader Board
Add messages and community events on our city reader board
Lyons Public Library Survey
As you may know, many businesses and Cities are facing increased needs and costs, with shrinking budgets and no increase in revenues.
Be Prepared for Inclement Weather
It is that time of year again when the North Santiam School District and First Student Transportation review the process and procedure for inclement weather.
On days where the temperatures have dropped and ice or snow is on the roads, bus routes will be checked starting at 4:00 a.m. A decision will be made by 5:00 a.m. by the Superintendent with input from First Student Transportation and the District’s Director of Health and Safety.
There are three things they will look at as they drive the bus routes:
- Road safety at the high and low elevation levels.
- Current temperatures.
- Forecasts for weather worsening with roads that are already unsafe.
From the data they gather, they will decide to:
- Put buses on snow routes.
- Put schools on a two hour delayed start.
- Or, close school for the day.
This year student households will be called using the School Messenger system, with calls starting at 5:30 a.m. If no one answers the phone and the household has a message system, it will leave a message. If not, other places parents can look for information on school delays or closures include the District website located at www.nsantiam.k12.or.us where it will be posted on the main page, and on local news and radio stations listed in the student handbook.
This year parents can also sign up for email and text messages at http://www.flashalert.net/signup.html regarding school closure. Once on the website, parents are asked to add an organization. To do this:
- Choose Portland/Vanc/Salem.
- Select Marion Co. Schools.
- And finally North Santiam School District (Stayton).
Click on “subscribe” and then enter email addresses or cell phone numbers where you want messages to be sent. There is a validation process that must be completed before messages will actually be sent.
As the weather gets colder, parents should prepare a plan for how they will get their children to and from bus stops if busses are on snow routes, and where their children will need to go if school is delayed or closed. In the meantime, drag out the winter caps and scarves and try to find matches for all those extra socks and gloves, cause old man winter is looking over your shoulder.